Without a doubt, the California Arts Council has plenty to be thankful for. We’re thankful to Gov. Brown and our state Legislature for valuing the arts. We’re thankful to our Council members, our staff, and our grantees for their tireless work. We’re thankful to arts advocates and donors to the Keep Arts in Schools Fund for their indelible contributions.
The list goes on … but without the arts themselves, we wouldn’t be here.
With that in mind this Thanksgiving season, we took a trip down memory lane, browsing this year’s previous blog entries, and found a cornucopia of examples of the power of the arts. Here are just a few of the reasons why we’re thankful:
1. The arts boost our economy.
- California’s creative economy is booming (and it’s our duty to help it stay that way)
- State of the arts: Joint Committee on the Arts assembles voices on creative economy and creative space issues
2. The arts promote cultural awareness and understanding.
3. The arts teach.
- Levi Lowe represents California at NEA Poetry Out Loud Semifinals
- File your taxes, Keep Arts in Schools
- A celebration of Arts in Education Week with grantee and guest blogger LA Phil
4. The arts help to heal.
- Blog bite: Shakespeare at work in Solano State Prison
- Blog bite: The power of poetry
- Honoring our veterans through arts programming
Happy Thanksgiving, from the California Arts Council family to you and yours.
(Photo credit: Center for World Music)