We recently traveled across California to film some of the inspiring people making an impact in their communities through art and creative expression. Over the next couple of months, we’ll be sharing a new video here each week. Here’s a sneak peek that was previewed at our 40th anniversary celebration at the historic Crest Theatre in Sacramento on Wednesday, January 27, 2016.
As our host Annette Bening stated on stage at the Crest Theatre, “From its beginnings in 1976 to today the Arts Council has demonstrated why government support of the arts is so important. Public support is what brings the arts, with all their power to heal and inspire, to rural communities, towns large and small, blighted neighborhoods, struggling schools, prisons and hospitals, and everywhere the arts can make a difference – from Skid Row to symphony hall. The arts are an invaluable policy asset and prosperity generator for California. The creativity of our state sets us apart and gives California a special place in people’s imaginations.”
From the role of art in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) to preserving traditional and folk arts, this video shows the wide reach of California Arts Council’s grantees and partnerships to advance arts in California for everyone.
Featured California nonprofits include:
- Alliance for California Traditional Arts, Fresno (Statewide) (video released 2/24/2016)
- Actors’ Gang, Los Angeles (video released 2/10/2016)
- Destiny Arts, Oakland (video released 2/3/2016)
- Malashock Dance, San Diego (video released 3/2/2016)
- Piece by Piece, Los Angeles (video released 3/9/2016)
- Yuba Sutter Arts, Marysville (video released 2/17/2016)
The videos were produced by Los Angeles-based, For Example Media.